1. UNDERSTANDING. Examine the cause of your anxiety and stress. Understanding is the first step. Know and accept your limits.
2. LET IT GO. Concentrate on the things you can change. Let go of the things that are beyond your control.
3. LET IT OUT. Communication is ventilation. Don’t put off discussing problems. A good cry is okay and healthy.
4. GET ORGANIZED. Focus on the most important tasks first, not just the easiest. List your goals. Follow through.
5. SEEK HELP. It’s okay to ask. Needing help is not a sign of weakness. Learn to delegate. (personal note: we ALL need help. It’s when we try to handle everything on our own that things fall apart)
6. PLAN YOUR TIME. Set realistic goals. Allow enough time to complete tasks. Learn to say no when your schedule is full. Take time for yourself.
7. EXAMINE EACH SITUATION. Don’t automatically slip into old responses that are not effective for you.
8. CHANGE NEGATIVE BEHAVIOR. Approach tasks in a positive manner. Target situations and people that support positive behavior patterns.
9. BE PATIENT. Take a deep breath instead of losing control. Learn and practice relaxation techniques.
10. HAVE FUN. Laughter is the best medicine. Take the time to find humor in stress situations.
11. GET REST. Replenish your energy. Change your environment. Vacations are important for both body and mind. Don’t wait until you are “burned out” before scheduling a break. (personal note: WAY easier said than done for me)
12. EXERCISE REGULARLY. Let out that built-up stress. Improve your overall health while building your self-esteem and stamina.
13. AVOID NON-PRESCRIBED DRUGS AND ALCOHOL. These substances will decrease your capability to handle stress. Seek professional help if you or a family member has a problem. (take prescribed medication as written, don’t abuse it just because you get refills and have access)
14. EATING HABITS. Eat regular well-balanced meals. Keep healthy snacks available for those busy times. Reduce the caffeine and fat in your diet.
15. QUIET TIME. Spend a few moments everyday to dream, relax and create a peaceful environment.
16. CHECK YOUR BODY LANGUAGE. (not one normally thought about but this does play a big roll in mood) Smile, smile, smile. Relax your shoulders and neck. Stand tall. Take a moment to stretch and reach.
17. COMPLIMENT YOURSELF. Recognize it when you handle a difficult situation. Accept praise from others.
18. TREAT YOURSELF. Monitor your schedule and budget. Spend some of your time, money and energy on yourself.
19. REMEMBER THAT WE ARE NOT PERFECT. Mistakes are part of growth. They happen to all of us. Forgive yourself for your imperfections.
20. STILL NEED HELP? For additional information, ask your physician or contact Foundation’s Health Education Department at (916) 631-5249.